Why do women wear red lipstick?

There’s a certain kind of a woman who wears red lip stick, or at least that’s what I had in my head when I bought my first shade of red lipstick almost a year ago.

That kind of a woman is sexy. She’s always been.

She wears red.

Or, if not carfeful, it wears her.

I said I’d wear it daily when I took it out of its packaging. You know when you convince yourself that the thing standing in the way of you being more fabulous is x and that until you get x you can’t begin the journey towards fabulous-ness?

Yeah. Well my x was this red lipstick.

When I got it, I put it in one of the smallest pockets in my purse for that stated purpose. I removed all my safe neutral glosses from all the other pockets to force myself to be more fabulous.

But then after wearing it twice, I got tired of looking at my lips in red, and reapplying it and looking at my lips and seeing it on cups and reapplying it and wondering at playdates if was all just “too much.”

So, I stopped wearing it.

Then I lost it and forgot about it.

Until a week ago, when Nya found it.

When she found it, she ran into a corner, did her first application, said “ta-da!,” then came back for a second and third application.

I usually don’t allow her to ruin the makeup I never wear, the $25 lipsticks and $10 eyeliners. But since she was careful and did her sister a favor of a providing a trial makeover, I let it slide.

She loves makeup. Even though she only watches Nick Jr and the last time I wore makeup was months ago, she’s learned, somehow, that this is what girlsĀ do.

They wear makeup. They wear it because it’s what women do. That’s what some women (and girls) do.

Do you wear red lipstick?

15 Responses to “Why do women wear red lipstick?”

1. Alison says:

She’s adorable.

I remember being obsessed with my mother’s lipsticks too :)

Alas, I don’t wear makeup much anymore. And I hardly ever wore lipstick even when I did wear some makeup in my past life! I was just tired of the reapplying.

I know! And that’s why I just can’t get the “hang” of makeup. I like easy routines. I like simple processes. I’m sure that once I get used to makeup things will change, but for now, it all just feels so tedious.

Ahh, lipstick. I never wore the shade red, I always loved a deep wine color. But I so miss wearing lipstick. For now, it’s been safe lipgloss, since Zee, like your little girl, loves make up too! But soon, I’ll be making that plunge into lipstick land again.

3. Emmy says:

No but I always think I should– just haven’t been brave enough or bold enough to really try it. funny huh?

4. Ha! Oh my goodness…she’s adorable. And you know what? I put on my red lipstick today for the first time in months. And all we were doing was going to the grocery store. I thought to myself, I should do this more often!

lol. I know. It’s fun, right? I need to do it more often. Now that she’s found the lost lipstick, I have no more excuses. And, thank you! :-)

5. LaShawn says:

I have never ever ever owned a red lipstick! I can never find one that looks EXACTLY right on me! SMH.

Ive never been brave enough to try red lipstick.

How could you ever say no to that face??

7. Mrs.Fun says:

I don’t wear it. I am pale and it just doesn’t suit me well at all. Love that photo, precious.

Thank you! You know, I’ve seen red lipstick look great on pale skin. Maybe you just need the right red. Maybe. This is spoken from a person who knows close to nothing about makeup. lol.

8. Mimi says:

I broke down and bought a tube of Ruby Woo by Mac but I’m not bold enough just yet to wear it out in public!!

That’s the shade I have! It’s very pretty! I love seeing it other women, but I’m still working on getting used to it on my face. lol.