Short Little Bits

I don’t know if many of you know, but I have another blog. It’s called “Short Little Bits.” I started it last year. On the blog, I write five minute posts that are unedited and that, once upon a time, were published daily.

slb-logo

When I started writing there, I said I had a plan, but I really didn’t. I think I imagined that writing there would allow the pre-motherhood academic beast in me to unleash with more sophisticated, five minute renderings on questions on more than just how to remember to wear deodorant when going on outings with two children. So, I had high hopes that it would be the place where I could “show off” that I had more in me than just being a mom. “I am a serious writer, too,” I think I kept telling myself when I wrote my “About Me” page.

But that plan flopped when I realized just how hard it is to be pretentious in a five minute, unedited post. I struggled to talk about more than motherhood, too, since motherhood is such a big part of my life at this point. So in the beginning, there were lots of posts expressing that, or that “I’m sorry for wasting five minutes of your time.  I thought this would be different, but it’s not. And stop.”

I planned to quit blog after like the third post, but then when I published this post and got some comments from some random guys who likely stumbled in from WordPress, I called my sister and we decided that I should just keep at it. And then days later, I wanted to quit again.  I found a rhythm when I stopped overthinking what the blog should be doing and started writing not with any real plan but just topics that were on my mind, like addictions and high heels and cereal eating. It’s all random, but it’s all me and I really like that.

Short Little Bits has maybe a handful of readers. I mean, I don’t know this for sure (I never check my stats) , but I imagine when I write there that likely no one or only a few are listening and even fewer who decide to sign in and comment. And I like that.

I thought I owed a post to Short Little Bits on here because it has proven to be one of the best things I’ve done online. Through writing there, I found some of the voice I lost in my attempt to be big elsewhere and I had fun, again, with writing. I don’t think it will ever get big, but I’ve come to think I don’t even want that.

I don’t want to be conventionally famous, I realized through writing there and in thinking hard about whether becoming an online celebrity whose marriage and home life is of stalkerish interest is really what I want. I don’t. I realize. I . I do want to write well and look nice in any pictures that may happen to be taken of me at some writer’s event that I may happen to attend in L.A. or N.Y. some day in the very distant future. And I want to be heard, but that’s it.

If you haven’t read Short Little Bits, this is my plug for you to come visit. Don’t feel obliged to leave a comment, for my ego’s sake, it’s better I not know that you exist. M-kay?

Tags:

12 Responses to “Short Little Bits”

1. Kita says:

I will add the other blog to my other reader so I can keep up going to visit now
    Kita recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

2. Alison says:

I think it’s great that you have a space where you can just write. It’s so freeing. Good on you for carrying on.
    Alison recently posted…Conversations With My ChildrenMy Profile

I think it’s great that you have a place for just you, where your writing can be real and raw. Good for you for keeping at it!
    Kimberly recently posted…My ReflectionMy Profile

• Thank you, Kim! It’s such a fun little place! I didn’t imagine when I started it when I would stop writing there, but I didn’t think I would last long. Now, into my first year, I’m looking forward to many years to come!

I’m so glad that you have survived the many self-doubts to continue with Short Little Bits. You know I love it, and I honestly, honestly am not saying it to stroke your ego or to be nice because now we have known each other for a little while. I love it precisely because it’s short and it’s random and your topics always speak to me, and give me a chance to pipe in with my short little opinions too. I think I may have said this before, but I love that it is short because I will often get an email notification around 10 or 11 at night and it is so easy for me to have a nice, quick chat at that time!

I’m glad you’re mentioning it here, because I remember that I had stumbled upon it during one of those rare times I was on twitter. And I thought to myself, “Hey, is that the same Jessica of the Mommyhood blog? How come I never knew about this blog??” It was/is refreshing to read your “other” voice too, and I really, really enjoy it.

Do keep writing! I will be visiting often!
    Cecilia recently posted…Becoming a Kindle readerMy Profile

• Aww. Thank you, Cecilia! I do appreciate your feedback and comments on Short Little Bits! You are one of two people who does comment, so it’s nice to have those little conversations there!

I know, I have been horrible at connecting the dots between that blog and this one, but I plan to improve! I promise!! lol. :)

I’ve been to your other blog many times before. I do enjoy reading your random bits. I think it is awesome that you carved out a little place for yourself so you can just write. I am glad that you overcame the self-doubt and continued.
    KalleyC recently posted…I Wish…My Profile

6. TOI says:

I was thinking about your writing blog today. I’ve stopped by couple of times. I like the fact you have a blog dedicated to your writing. I really like that idea and even thinking about updating my old writing blog once again.
    You are such an inspiration.
    TOI recently posted…#ProjectMilf: Week 1My Profile

I love where you are at right now. And I look forward to hanging out with you at a writer’s event in LA or NYC… :) Proud of you for sharing your other blog with us! Actually, your writing blog was probably sitting in my subconscious when i decided to start a creative writing blog of my own a few months ago. Which reminds me, it’s been a while since I posted over there. How can we possibly keep up with everything we want to do?! My new favorite quote is “be still and wait.” I am working on releasing the need to be doing something all of the time. Anyways, I’m rambling. Happy weekend, Jessica! Take care of yourself!
    Lucy recently posted…Little Boy Lost and FoundMy Profile