Homemade “Pudding” Paint Recipe

Mix pre-made vanilla pudding and food coloring and voila! You've made paint that looks as good as it tastes.

So, after making my last homemade paint recipe from Pinterest last month, I vowed to never again use all the ingredients in my pantry on something like paint. I  made a “simple” recipe that fateful day in March. I made it using like 2 cups of flour, 2 cups of water, and all these other things that could have been used for the dinner…I didn’t end up making.

And the paint turned out like crap. It was thick and like toothpaste. This and this paint recipe was pinned over a thousand times. One thousand times!!! (How does this happen? Or how do 1,000 people pin something that only makes for a good pinnable image. Wait. I know the answer to that.)

But my toddlers don’t or that the paint we slaved away on was crap. Fun to make but crap.  Being the good sports they are, they tried painting with the bad paint. But then their paint kept getting stuck on their paint brush bristles, making it impossible for the Princess Strawberry Shortcake they imagined in their little brain to come to fruition on paper. So, naturally, in frustration, painting time turned into eating time. And when that got old, eating time, turned into throw said paint on the kitchen floor. This took all of 10 minutes. 10 minutes! 10 minutes using ingredients that were for that dinner I didn’t make. And after 10 minutes they still wanted to paint. But there was no paint. The paint we made was on the floor and I had no more flour to waste 20 minutes of my life, again.

So that’s when I saw the uneaten, possibly, expired, vanilla pudding in my pantry and thought, “Why not?” So I mixed the pudding with food coloring and we had paint that actually could be painted on a piece of paper.

That’s it. I wish I could make it sound more complicated to convey my effort, but I can’t. I made paint with two ingredients and my kids liked it. And I think yours will, too.

pudding paint recipe

To make, simply add food color to your pudding. More food coloring equals stronger colors. And less food coloring equals subdued, pastel like tones. The “paint” made from this recipe is not only easy to make and use, it’s also really good (or, so my toddlers say).

The moral the story is this. Use what you’ve got and that while it’s good to sometimes follow the lead of the creative, crafty geniuses of Pinterest. Sometimes it’s good, necessary even, to remember that you have a brain, too. That you, too, can be creative and mix something up wonderful in your kitchen using the uneaten pudding in your pantry.

Have you ever experienced a “Pinterest fail”? What were you trying to make and what made it so bad?

14 Responses to “Homemade “Pudding” Paint Recipe”

1. Vanita says:

I’ve learned the hard way to hold myself back from trying eye catching projects I find on Pinterest. It can get expensive and I may not be really good at following directions lol. Fantastic post girl and I do think I have some handy snack pudding collecting dust in my cupboards!

Lol. Oh, I am glad I’m not the only one failing on highly pinned pins! I am happy we did, in the end, have the pudding for the paint. Give it a try with your kiddos! I’m sure they’d love it!!

2. Tamara says:

I think this is clever! You should market it! Edible finger paint. Yum!

3. LaShawn says:

I’ve never made anything fromPinterest that turned out right! So for a while, I took a hiatus and refused to even try.
    This looks like fun! But I am sure my son would just sit and eat the pudding. SMH.

Ha! Yeah, that’s what my two year old did! Bit I didn’t mind since it was just pudding that I really wouldn’t have used or eaten otherwise. Lol.

4. Siri says:

I have a 15 month old that colours for about 2 minutes before turning to eat the crayon…I think we will be trying this on our next “craft” day. It seems MUCH less frustrating for both toddler AND mummy alike, not to mention easy to clean up with a rag/mop and I don’t have to worry about her eating it and getting sick! Sugar high? Erm…maybe…BUT that’s better than crayon xD

Lol. That’s so true! Let me know how it turns out!

• Siri says:

We tried the pudding paint and it was A LOT of fun! E still ate more than she coloured with, buuuut that’s okay because after she was done I let the dog in to lick up the mess then mopped the floor and voila! Easy clean up. She had a blast and I was glad it was so easy to take care of. Now I have a pudding rendition of a bubble guppies colouring page on my ice box xD

This is clever as well as straight forward. Two ingredients is all I need to make paint! Thanks for sharing this. Also, I know that on pinterest, it’s totally easy to get caught up in the pretty picture, but things don’t always work out the way that they should. I’ve had more than one thing fail.

Sometimes, pretty doesn’t mean yummy.

6. This is really interesting! I have never thought of pudding paint! haha… Bet your kids loved it!

My biggest Pinterest FAIL was when I made Kale Chips. I’d heard they were supposed to be so good and yummy almost like chips… let me just say it was a flop! haha… Not appealing!

Loving your blog!

7. I couldn’t refrain from commenting. Very well written!