Why Write Everyday?

I don’t know if you remember, but I used to write daily at a blog called “The Short Little Bits.”

It’s been like a year since I’ve written anything there, so please, I won’t feel bad if you tell me that you don’t remember.

But, you do remember, right?

It was my writing blog…

I would write there for five minutes a day, daily, about very” important” things, things like that microfiber couch I gave away and going to a hardware store during my pregnancy….

Everything on that blog was unedited…

Any of this ringing a bell?

Do you remember that blog? Did you read it?

It’s okay if you answer “no” to ANY of these questions. I did so little promotion of that blog because I liked it being like a small destination that lone internet-ers stumbled into in the late of night.

With my third pregnancy, I had forgotten about that blog.

Yes, though I loved it. I forgot about it.

But then I remembered when I looked at my Facebook fan page (Have you liked me, yet?) bio and saw a link to that blog. “Oh, yeah. I am paying for the domain of that place.” And “Oh, yeah I am paying for that domain and not writing there… ever.”

I know it’s so sad that this is how I work. But my memory often does fail me, usually, in moments when it really shouldn’t.

Though forgotten, in clicking on that link and reading my old posts, I realized something. I liked The Short Little Bits. I liked writing there and what it meant for my process in becoming a writer. Along with making me a more efficient writer, writing daily, for the first time in my life outside of academia, had the following benefits.

Why Write Everyday?

1. It’s cathartic. When you write everyday, you are able to release bits of yourself into the universe. In so doing, you actually feel better.

2. Technically, it helps you become a better writer. Writing is a skill that really does get better with practice. The more you do it, the better you get at it.

3. It allows you to more easily reflect on your life in the present tense. I feel like The Short Little Bits gave like the E! True Hollywood Story, the Behind the Music, the MTV unplugged version of my life these past two years. It gave the version that couldn’t neatly be captured in 1,000 word posts on this or my former blog.

4. It makes you an idea machine. When you get it into your head that you WILL be writing everyday, you force yourself to get into the habit of turning your ideas into something on paper (or a screen). I think some of the writing ideas I’ve pursued on The Short Little Bits are some of the best ideas I’ve shared online. No, really. Don’t believe me? Check out this post and this one and this one. This is good stuff, right? I mean barring the occasional typo/ grammatical error or two, or three, or four.

5. When writing for an audience (even if only one person), you learn to hear better as a writer. I don’t believe that all writing should be done for an audience. I am a strong proponent of journaling as a critical part of any writer’s, any human being’s, writing/life arsenal. Though, I do think that writing for an audience is also a good and necessary skill. Writing for an audience makes you more aware of others. It allows you to hear them when you write. This isn’t always a desired thing, but it’s especially useful for writers with plans to “do” something with their writings.

I don’t write at The Short Little Bits anymore, mainly, because I feel like it has served its purpose. I still do write daily, though, offline. I am less fearful of hitting “publish” and believe myself to be a writer now.

Since my work is done there, I won’t be renewing “The Short Little Bits” domain this year. I will not just delete the blog outright, however. I think I’ll  move the posts here and, possibly, continue them for fun when it feels right. Perhaps. I haven’t figured this stuff out yet. But when I do, I’ll let you know!

That’s all.

Do you write everyday? Do you think it helps you as a writer?

Tags: ,

23 Responses to “Why Write Everyday?”

I do of course remember Short Little Bits and as you know I really enjoyed it. But I can understand why you may feel you are ready to move on. I don’t unfortunately write every day but I am now seriously thinking that I should…and will need to think about whether I want to do that off-line or on. I was really struck by your line that you do believe yourself to be a writer now. As you know, so many people doubt and doubt and doubt themselves…I would love to hear more about the process and experiences that led you to this point! And congratulations – it’s such an achievement!
    Cecilia recently posted…My Battles with AnxietyMy Profile

I remember it! And I loved your list for why write everyday. Writing is one of the best things I do for myself every day. That and green smoothies ;)
    Lucy recently posted…Spring IntentionsMy Profile

3. MrsTDJ says:

I write every single day. It’s like breathing and I don’t know if I would be sane if I didn’t. Growing up as an only child, writing was my best friend. Now, it helps to comfort me when nothing else can. I write more for myself than I put on the blog but yes, I must write every day. I’m not familiar with your other blog, but now of course I must go check it out.
    MrsTDJ recently posted…Listen To Your Mother Baltimore – 4/26/14My Profile

• It is like breathing! I am not an only child, but writing was always like that for me, too. My best friend. It talked to me and I talked back. I was terribly shy as a child. I couldn’t speak out loud to say what I was thinking out of fear. So writing was who I talked to.

I think it’s wonderful that you write everyday! And thanks for checking out my blog!!

p.s. Looking forward to your show!!

Also I have a writing blog I never post at anymore! and I pay for the domain. Lucymillerrobinson.com. Ha ha. You are not alone sister.
    Lucy recently posted…Spring IntentionsMy Profile

5. Tamara says:

I liked you on FB! Whee!
    Yes, I do write every day. It keeps the juices flowing, as they say. Writing begets more writing. I learned that the hard way when I was in a long dry spell once. Never again.
    Tamara recently posted…Winter’s Leftovers.My Profile

• “Writing begets more writing.” Yes, yes, yes! That’s soo true. The more you write, the more you want to write, the more ideas you’ll embrace as worthy of being written, the less self-conscious you’ll feel when writing out loud! Thank you for the “like,” Tamara! xo.

6. Vidya Sury says:

You are absolutely right about writing every day, Jessica. I know what you mean when you say you loved your old posts. I thought I was the only one and felt shy about it! The problem with most of us is – it is so easy to put off writing and allow other routine stuff to fill the intention. The saddest part is – there is no lack of ideas!

Loved this post. And yes, right now I am writing every day on two blogs as part of the April A to Z Challenge and sporadically on my third blog. Strenuous, yes. Fulfilling, double yes! :D

Hugs to you!
    Vidya Sury recently posted…Juliet, JemimaMy Profile

7. I do remember that blog.

I try to write everyday. It’s my therapy. It’s as if I don’t have a choice in the matter.
    Cam | Bibs and Baubles recently posted…Silver, Platinum Shine!My Profile

Yes, I do remember the short little bits! I agree with your points on writing everyday. It really does sharpen your skills and allows you to be more confident as a writer.
    KalleyC recently posted…When We Lose Empathy, Compassion FollowsMy Profile

9. Maureen says:

I remember your other blog – although excuse my lack of visit – but I absolutely love these points you share, Jessica. Thank you for this…this is exactly what I needed to read as I set a 45-1 hour daily time slots for journaling and I’ve failed miserably. I missed a day, two days and I am trying to pick it up again. Typing and handwriting truly is different lol.
    Maureen recently posted…Leaving The Comfort ZoneMy Profile

10. theodora says:

I remember that blog :). I love this post, you raise such great points. I write everyday if you count writing comments on IG. As a mother two children I’m struggling combining my duties as a mother and my creativity, my new baby boy just turned three months yesterday. I just started to settle into a different routine again. But I totally agree that sometimes “…writing for an audience is also a good and necessary skill.” I love keeping my online journal but I’m considering starting a blog dedicated to my writing only.
    theodora recently posted…Mr T.: 3 Months–a long updateMy Profile

11. Hey Jessica, I love your blog! :)

I definitely try to write in some way or form everyday. It really helps me. If I go too long without writing, I feel like something is missing.

I love all of the reasons you listed above. Totally agree with you!

Keep writing! :)

12. LindySez says:

I just visited your Short Little Bits blog, I liked the writing…so you are and were a writer. Words on paper …
    LindySez recently posted…Easter BreadMy Profile

13. Cher says:

Love this, Jessica! You are right when you say that writing every day releases bits of yourself into the universe! I think it is the perfect step for those of us who are trying to become more “comfortable”!
    Cher recently posted…Build an Esmerelda BuffetMy Profile