Not every day is my best day in life. Some days, I go to sleep in a bad mood, often, inspired by something in my life, and wake up that way in the morning or worse.
I used to feel bad about having bad days. I used to beat myself up for my bad days because I believed that they were my fault, a sign of my inability to handle stresses in my life.
Back then, or when I felt bad about my bad days, rather than attempting to process why I was having a bad day, I immediately would judge myself as being weak. “Normal people don’t have bad days,” I would tell myself. “Happy people don’t have bad days.”
But these statements I’ve been telling myself for years are not true.
Bad days happen to everyone.
Now that I’m older and wiser, I am more able to embrace my bad days as a part of my normal life. I take them in stride, accepting them as temporary and good opportunities for me to grow, reflect, and decide to do things differently.
I think doing this is now easier for me because I have learned the power of positive self talk when times are tough. I don’t run away from my feelings on bad days. I’ve learned that trying to ignore my feelings or numb them only makes things worse. So now I give myself permission to feel them. I feel them and write about them in a journal and keep in mind these 25 important things:
1. A bad day doesn’t mean you have a bad life.
2. You are worthy of self-love and compassion.
3. It’s okay to make mistakes, to be uncertain, to not know.
4. Your character is make rich and deep by your hardships.
5.You have a good life, full of blessings that are worthy of your celebration.
6. You are okay.
7. You will be okay.
8. And in the end, it will all be okay.
9. A rain cloud can’t overshadow your beauty.
10. Today was a bad day. Tomorrow will be different.
11. It’s okay to smile in hard times.
12. You can be thankful for today even though it feels hard. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not promised.
13. Your happiness does not rest in your circumstances. It’s carried in your hands.
14. You can trust in life’s process.
15. Good things are always on the horizon for those with the vision to see them.
16. Your life is a divine miracle worthy of celebration.
17. You may be hurt. But you are not broken.
18. The story of your life continues to be written with each breath.
19. The world needs your light to shine.
20. You are bigger than your problems.
21. Nothing is as impossible as it seems.
22.You are here on earth for a reason.
23.You are someone’s sunshine.
24. You are strong.
25. You have much to be grateful for.
What are some things you tell yourself on bad days to keep things in perspective?